[Public-List] Main sheave update

John Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Mon May 16 19:55:40 PDT 2011

Kris,

You make all good points and about the only thing I can say in reply is
that each circumstance (yard, sailor) is different.  The only point I
was trying to make was that other solutions CAN work if that's what is
deemed best in a particular case.

On this point, though,

>  and thought [mast lowering] to be some sort of immensely difficult black art or
> something. Naturally we helped them, but good god were they ever
> neurotic about it all.

Yes, the psychological factor is a prime motivator here.  But it cuts
both ways.  That is, once down, does the mast go back UP?

Consider the case of a good friend of mine who lowered the mast of his
Pearson Ariel (A-30's little sister) to make a single repair.  That was
about 5 years ago, and his mast is still not back up.  He got into the
endless cycle of "well, while I have it down, I might as well ..."
(coupled with the realities of available time to complete said projects
while earning a living).

So, I AM a little 'scared' to lower my mast.  I'm afraid I might have a
touch of that disease, too.  ;-)

Regards,

--
John S. Riley