[Public-List] Main sheave update

brooks.glenn at comcast.net brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Mon May 16 22:44:37 PDT 2011

Hi John,

Here is the biggest issue( I think). If your sheeve needs work, as mine did, then the other components probably are old and could have advanced wear. At least they probably have not been inspected or serviced for a good number of years so may also be in a last stage of serviceability -- making the mast head and possibly the other rigging components a high risk of failure in the near future. Better to take it down, inspect everything, and put it back up. If something breaks whence sailing in the next few months or even season or two, and the mast comes down involuntarily, you will definitely be on the beach for an extended period looking at a new replacement mast costs of $7 to $ 10K these days. It is a learning experience, but isnt that big of a deal once you've gone through the cycle.

BTW, my story is when I pulled my mast for the first time five years ago when I bought the boat, no one knew how old the rigging was. I found the sheeve and tangs appeared to be the original from 1968. The sheeve was at end of its service life, and displayed spliting and missing pieces around the ends of the wire halyard groove, causing jambing and raggedness when running the halyard up and down. Also the fore and back stay terminals and halyard strainless tangs were elongated and made me nervous. This stuff was not really obvious under load with the mast up. I ended up replacing only the sheeve that year, then opted to re rigg everything last year simply because I plan on going to Hawaii and points westward in the next year or two and would not think of doing so with worn out 15 to 35 year old mast head fittings. Expect for clear gear failure, you dont need to delay putting your mast back up beyond fixing the halyard/sleeve. But it is prudent to benchmark your key mast head components perhaps every five years or so - so you can be assured your mast will not fail under load during the middle of your sailing season - particularly for old boats... hey, its OK to do so more frequently if that is a common routine in your area, but if not, it is good insurance every few years...Best wishes and great sailing!

Glenn
S/V Dolce #319

Anyway, certainly would encourage you to go this extra step to ensure safety and servicability, and just plan on putting it back up the next day...