[Public-List] Where to run wires from the mast into the boat

brooks.glenn at comcast.net brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Wed Nov 2 01:37:55 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I've have had really great success mounting four blue sea terminals, each drilled separately through the deck. I put two each side of the mast mount. They don't leak, ever. When I pull the mast, I unscrew the top of each blue sea fitting from its base, leave it attached to the wire, disconnect the wires from a terminal block in the cabinet down below behind the head, and lift the four pigtails and mast off the boat. Never need to cut a wire end or replace an electrical connector.

I also successfully ran the rectangular plastic coated, marine two strand wire through Blue Sea's rubber grommets, with no drips. I drilled slightly smaller diameter holes in the rubber grommets and let the little plastic top mount conform the rubber holes to the wire shape. Works fine. Also ran two wire harnesses through one grommet to limit the number of deck fittings, and wrapped the two coated wire sets back to back with tightly wound electrical tape to create a generally rounded shape that sealed perfectly inside the grommet.

I will say I am not found of these older, chrome platted deck connectors that are on some of our boats - the kind with little brass electrical corroders, I mean, connectors, pressed into the metal base. On Dolce, the knurled up caps, that marine distributors tell you with a straight face to: " screw onto the base to keep the water out", proved to be little miniature petri dishes. They fratricidicly killed more wiring ends every summer than I could replace; perpetrating nearly continuous electronic scandal and confusion with first one thing and then another at the masthead; all summer - every summer. My newly installed tricolor light worked randomly , and my spreader lights where mostly decorative. I soon found I needed to burn both the masthead lights and my old cabin side running lights to ensure enough illumination to run at night. When I finally switched to the Blue Sea mountings, everything worked all the time - even had the affect of soothing the late-night moaning-shriek-angst sounds emitted by other boat crews who were out of the water.

So now I have two sets of running lights. When I sail at night and see some poor sloop run up to mooring with only one set of running lights burning, and often even less then one, I think Awh, you poor sap: you've still got those shiny metal connectors on your deck.

Anyway, hard to go wrong using these Blue Sea gadgets, they really work.