[Public-List] A30 article in magazine...Comments about the boat.

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Wed Nov 2 08:07:46 PDT 2011

Rachel,

The "copy" is an electronic pdf copy of the article from G.O.B. only not the entire magazine. You have a point I don't know what the copy-write laws are on this process.

The owner of Scholarship II is a friend of mine and we sail together on his boat throughout the summer season. What he has done with the boat is truly remarkable. Nicely thought out innovations and well executed. Anyone who does or plans to do much single-handed sailing should take note. David Terrell has made many changes strictly from the point of view of simplifying and making safer single -handed sailing of his Alberg 30. Most of this but not all from the running rigging line handling perspective.

David is not one to boast, but since I sail with him I'll take liberty to complement him here. David sails almost each and every day during the summer season. While doing so he continuously examines and tweaks his running rigging arrangements.  The systems that he has employed do work well or he changes them. I feel fortunate to be able to sail with David on a regular basis, not only to enjoy his lovely Scholarship II but to work with his on deck innovations in person. The boat is David's home away from home and it shows.

My boat is far from finished, so I am very grateful to sail with David. I tend to sail by the seat of my pants and the wind on my face. David's boat has many bells and whistles which feed him lots of data by which he likes to sail. Sailing with David is always an educational experience, no pun intended. I am Mr. pinch and he is Mr. reach and while we differ in our philosophy on how we drive the boat we thoroughly enjoy our time together on the water.

BTW, Grand Traverse Bay  on Lake Michigan provides some of the nicest sailing outside of the Newpor t, RI sailing mecca and sweet water to boot.

Michael #133