[Public-List] Propellers

Bart Knapp jbknapp at yancyd.com
Mon Nov 14 12:10:17 PST 2011

This is a resend - too many email accounts.

Not usually, most of our (Sea Scout) boats are lucky to do 5, but this year
we had schedule to keep, so we were constantly pushing, not the best of
circumstances.  Next year we are hoping to have a more relaxed cruise like
we did in 2010 - sans hurricane Alex with a longer time to sail and possibly
head east to Pensacola or vicinity instead of down the ditch.  That said
most of the youth do not get the opportunity to actually spend much if
anytime in the ditch, so this year they got the chance to experience that
and get a handle on the protocols of the ditch. This last year we didn't get
out into the Gulf like we did in 2010, so next year we are wanting to change
that too.

With a three bladed prop, wouldn't you get more thrust for a lower RPM and
therefore be more efficient?  Since racing the Alberg is not in the picture,
I don't think a little more drag would make that big of difference.  Also,
we have a number of certified Scuba divers who love the chance to get down
and do some in the water maintenance, especially in July and August. In
fact, I think the kid's goal is to have somewhere around 90% of the youth to
be certified Scuba divers and we have one consultant who is a certified
instructor.

Bart