[Public-List] Propellers

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Nov 14 12:33:42 PST 2011

Hi folks -

We motor in SURPRISE at 5kts... Fuel consumption is good at that speed, the
engine isn't too noisy, and best of all, the arithmetic required for dead
reckon is easy using a nice number like '5' for the speed.

I know there's been a ton of email traffic about props.... I've wondered
sometimes if I should make a change (we have the standard factory supplied
prop) but when I consider what other yachts put up with I stop thinking
about it.

We always seem to have more power than our friend's boats. We can motor just
about as fast (unless they are longer boats) when we have to.

The times when we've been hard pressed by weather and need power the A4 with
the standard two bladed prop has always served extremely well.  We have hove
to in squalls with all sail furled, the engine ticking along at 800rpm and
the helm locked hard over.  When we've had to tack, 1,100 rpm will push her
head around. And that in 60knts + of wind.   We have motored out of narrow
channels with loads of wind on the nose and a pitching head sea that was
putting the bow deep under water on each dive... We had power to spare.

This is beginning to sound monotonous, I'm sure, but my feeling is that with
the A4 and the standard prop the A30 is if anything, overpowered.

As John says below... Sailboats generally make rotten motorboats.
Traditional ones particularly because of the weight in the ends they carry
around in their overhangs which promotes speed-killing pitching when going
into a head sea.

So, my advice to anyone who is in a group where someone wants to motor at
7knots...  I'd say just wave good bye and let 'em go.  Maybe they'll be
buying McGregor motor-boats-with-little-masts.  I hear they do 20kts under
power....