[Public-List] hull speed

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue Nov 15 04:31:18 PST 2011

And then there's surfing...

TOUCH WOOD, (my Folkboat under restoration) touched 11.2 once surfing on a
wave when broad reaching under spinnaker.  We were out in the open in
Georgian Bay on a day when the wind had been blowing solidly from the NW for
several days... Judging wave heights is difficult but I think they were over
12'.  We caught one particular wave and were able to surf down it twice just
like a surfer.  Down we went the first time, as we neared the bottom we bore
up a little to a reach and climbed it.  Nearing the top, we bore away again
onto a broad reach and down we went.  That's when she touched 11.2 knots.  I
shouted to my friend Boyd that I thought we'd pull the stick out of her but
it was worth it.  We lost the wave on the third try.

We got home to Midland and found we'd averaged just over 8knts on the
passage.  That in a 25' heavy(ish) displacement full keeled wooden yacht
with a LWL something like 19'!  Best of all we didn't break or strain
anything.  The best SURPRISE has ever done on the same run was touch 9 once;
but she hasn't been so lucky with the wind and waves (yet).

Gord #426 SURPRISE