[Public-List] hull speed

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Tue Nov 15 04:43:24 PST 2011

Mike,

Not so much heeling when running wing and wing, but, yes, the hull line
does lengthen on our boats when heeled.  The square root of 30 is a bit
under 5.5, which, multiplied by 1.34 gives a hull speed of 7.3 knots.  I
know you've been on an A30 going faster than that.

Even with a displacement hull such as ours, it WILL exceed hull speed if
given enough power.  The power curves look something similar to
http://www.todddunnmicroyachts.com/tortuga/LE_power_curve.JPG  The power
required goes up tremendously as the boat moves through the hull-speed
region.  It's the knee of the curve, where the shape changes
dramatically.  Because hull speed is not an easily identifiable point on
that curve, different people use slightly different coefficients to
calculate it.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org