[Public-List] rudder shoe

Jim Mennucci jimmennucci at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 09:57:32 PST 2011

Two things:
- when I owned Quest many years ago, the axial bolt holding the shoe on got
loose because the threads cut into the composite were failing.  I put a
helicoil after which everthing was nice and tight.  If the radial screws
seem like they're not tightening enough I'd get the next longer size and
try that, if that's not enough try the next incrementally larger diameter
(you may have to open up the counter sink in the shoe).  Also the brass is
soft enough that additional radial screws can be put in, which is good
cause it gives you virgin glass to screw into.
-5200 is not structural meaning that if the bolt are getting loose then
the bolts will continue to move under load which continues down that road
toward losing the shoe.

Jim Mennucci