[Public-List] rudder shoe

Jim Mennucci jimmennucci at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 10:11:11 PST 2011

if the hole in the shoe looks good, check the pin in the bottom of the
rudder, one of them has to be wearing since its a metal on metal joint with
lots of motion under fairly high loading and water lubrication.  If they're
both good then they were probably repaired some time in the not to distant
past.  The simple test is to see if you can move the bottom of the rudder
in its shoe.  If you have more than say, 30 thousandths or so  end play you
need to disassemble to see where the wear is occuring.

Jim Mennucci