[Public-List] Shaft Log replacement/improvement ideas?

Jeffrey alberg30nh at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 06:05:49 PST 2011

Thanks Rachel,

I remember you doing that. I did the same, except removed the whole tube.
When putting it all back together I was a little uncomfortable with the
tight clearance of a 7/8 shaft and 1" ID tube. Also the whole affair seemed
less strong than I would prefer.  Sometimes, when running the motor I think
I can hear a "squealing" that sounds like metal on metal and I picture the
shaft rubbing on the inside of the tube under loads.  If I used a
fiberglass tube I could have more generous tolerances, a nice fat bearing
and it would be very solid.  Not that I think I'll take it all apart again!

-jeff

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 8:54 AM, Rachel <penokee at cheqnet.net> wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2011, at 8:32 AM, Jeffrey wrote:
>
> > I'm curious about this fiberglass tube approach. Is there a downside? Why
> > didn't Whitby build them like this originally??
>
> I'm not sure why they were not built with fiberglass stern tubes
> originally, but I can make a couple of guesses:
>
> 1) They were still building with "wood brain" in some cases.  If you take
> a look at the inside of the first-generation of fiberglass rudder on the
> A-30, you can see what I mean.  I think the metal stern tube is used
> reasonably often on wooden boats, if I'm not mistaken (not a wooden boat
> expert though).
>
> 2) The hardware was handy/available.
>
> 3) It went in reasonably quickly, with no waiting for things to cure,
> sanding, fairing, etc.  Time is money in a boatyard.
>
> 4) I would guess that strong, precise, pre-made fiberglass tubes were not
> readily available then (such as now, when you can get G-10 tubes from
> McMaster-Carr and other places).  Laying them up would have been a pain
> compared to just buying the metal ones.
>
> I can't really see any downsides to the fiberglass tube, myself --- except
> that it's somewhat more labor-intensive to install, as compared to caulking
> up the metal one, putting it in place, and installing the two fasteners.
>  On the other hand, it won't deteriorate or leak (no bedding), so in the
> long run it's probably less trouble.
>
> That's not to say there is anything wrong with what's there if it's in
> good condition.  In fact, I had the shaft and cutless bearing out of my
> boat, and if there had been any issues with the stern tube I would have
> replaced it at that time, and it would have been with a glassed in
> fiberglass tube; but I elected not to take out the one that was there since
> it was in excellent condition (freshwater) and there were no signs of
> leakage. (I had already machined down the stuffing box to match the inside
> of the stern tube.)  But would I prefer a fiberglass one? Yes.
>
> Rachel
> ex-#221

Jeffrey Fongemie