[Public-List] Propellers

John Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Mon Nov 14 12:13:24 PST 2011

If your desire is to go 'fast' while motoring, a motor boat will be MUCH
better suited to the purpose.

An Alberg 30 is a sail boat.  Period.  It's not a motorboat, nor is it a
'motor sailer.'

EVERYTHING about the design of the hull is the way it is for sailing.

If you were getting 7.5 knots over ground (was there a FAVORABLE
current?), you were doing pretty darn good.  No prop is going to get you
better than hull speed...it's all about Load Waterline and wave making.
She's not a planing hull, so there is no "faster."

I would like to hear other's comments on this, but I have found bottom
condition to be a BIG factor in boat speed (and low speed handling).  A
crusty bottom only hurts; how much it hurts may vary.

Plan to motor no faster than 5-6 knots through the water, and that not
efficiently.  My "efficient" motoring speed is about 4-4.5 knots through
the water.

John
#521, Gaelic Sea