[Public-List] Solid fuel stove - What to burn?

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Fri Oct 28 13:25:34 PDT 2011

> Jim... What do you mean by solid fuel? Isobar came with a good sized 'pot
> bellied stove' sorta, which I've never used and has been stored in my
> garage attic. It has an ingenious design to fit in a fiddle on the port
> settee with a charlie noble stack through a removable scuttle in the
> cabin
> top. It even has a cooktop. I've sometimes thought of trying it out, but
> I'm a fair weather sailor; winter sailing is not my dish. Besides, I'm
> not
> sure what to burn in it. It was probably made before the days of packaged
> wood chips, which might work well. Otherwise ,I can't see keeping a stock
> of cordwood in the forepeak. A bag of coal is probably the most efficient
> but tough to find at your local marina. Can a wood stove burn coal
> efficiently or vice versa?
>
> Bob Kirk
> Isobar #181

Jim, Bob,

I have a similar "Fasco" heat stove in my 1966 A-30. I learned from the
previous owner that (in 1986) that the thing to burn in those stoves at
that time was the sheets of charcoal briquettes that you can buy that
are made up with compressed cardboard. In my case, I only needed 2 or 3
of those little "Brix" to generate quite a bit of heat. Haven't run it
in 10-15 years, but those worked very well, also easy to light.

"Brix" don't seem to be made any more, though I thought I had seen
something like that fairly recently. A Google search for 'self lighting
charcoal' shows some options.

--Dan Sternglass
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY

dans at stmktg.com
mobile: +1607-592-8012

Strategic Marketing Associates
403 Highgate Road