[Public-List] Early model running light question

Michael Grosh dickdurk at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 06:46:56 PDT 2011

I did the LED swap 3 years ago, when choices in bulbs were just starting to
become available. I got my bulbs from West Marine. The diodes are mounted on
a length of board (several of them) and that board would not fit into the
glass lens when used with the bayonet fitting. This may have all changed by
now. Anyway, with something like 50,000 service hours I figured that
deleting the spring,and other stuff on the fixture, I was reducing corrosion
issues. I just soldered a wire to each of the bulb contacts and went from
there. The brass collar on the bulb is not part of the circuit, at least on
mine. I bedded the base in clear silicone, for good measure.
This is all reversable, if it doesn't work out.
MichaelGrosh