[Public-List] Wisker Pole

John Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Sat Oct 29 15:13:16 PDT 2011

You usually use a whisker pole with a genoa or a jib, so the genoa is
the largest sail.  You can also use a pole with a drifter type sail,
which is typically similarly sized to the genny.

The pole length is determine by the sail it will be used with.  The rule
of thumb is for the pole to be the same length as the foot of the sail.

Adjustable poles are very expensive.  I am making my own adjustable pole
(to be used with working jib, genoa and drifter); I bought aluminum
tubing from onlinemetals.com and Forespar ends.  It will be telescoping,
with homemade 'bushings,' and a clevis pin type arrangement to lock at
each length.  I've roughed out the 'bushings' and the dry fit the pieces
and it works good.

Cost for materials was less than half of a Forespar line adjusting
pole.  If I could have found a suitable used one, I would have gone that
route.