[Public-List] Boat Names

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 26 15:09:58 PDT 2011

Roger,

Our boat is name "Gilleleje" after a Danish fishing village where my Danish
family has a summer house. Trish and I honeymooned in Gilleleje and now
return every 5 years for a visit. It is funny because my cousin in Denmark
has a boat and he named his boat "Arnold" after our present address. So we
have Gilleleje with the hailing port of Arnold and he has "Arnold" with the
hailing port of Gilleleje. We were hoping that "Arnold" sounded different in
Danish...but it sounds exactly the same. A few years ago Trish ordered some
shirts embroidered with the boat name from Land's End...the gal of the phone
asked Trish to spell the name...after a long pause, the gal said...Ma'am
that does not spell anything. They both had a good laugh. BTW, when we went
to name our dinghy we came up with "Gillie" which is Scottish for an
attendant...it was the perfect name!