[Public-List] Mast Rigging

edward schroeder eddiediver at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 9 14:02:23 PDT 2011

Gordo (and others); When I was responsible for the Emotional Rescue #303, i used to loosen only the 3 stbd shrouds each Fall and then retighten only the 3 stbd shrouds each Spring. I was under the impression that, due to cold weather shrinking, that would prevent the mast from being driven down onto the deck mast step.

Now that i am involved with the club's Hunter 34, I am not certain what to do. The Hunter Owner's Association website states that even many riggers do not know how to properly adjust the complex mast staying system. If we slacken off on only the shrouds connected to the chain plates will that keep the above deck rigging from being stressed due to cold shrinking?

Thanks for any and all recommendations.

Ed Schroeder