[Public-List] (no subject)

John Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Tue Sep 6 19:49:02 PDT 2011

Dwayne Back wrote:
> John Manza,
> I currently own an Alberg 30 Hull # 94 on Lake St. Clair.  I purchased it in the fall of last year with an operating inboard grey marine engine.  As of today I have not been able to get the engine to turn over.  It cranks ok but back fires and will not turn over.  So I have not had the pleasure of sailing my boat.  I have had a "mechanic" who is suppose to address the engine issues, but it is now Sept. and believe it or not it is hard to find someone willing to work on the old engine.  Unfortunately I do not currently have the skills to address the engine issues.  As such, I am particularly interested in your outboard config, as well as your feeling as to the appropriate HP level.  My boat has a mount aft for an outboard and I almost purchased a 15hp used motor to use but was afraid it would be under powered (trying to avoid hitting the 100k boats behind me in the marina).  Any input you could provide as to sailing on lake St Clair or
>  Lake Huron as well as the appropriate outboard config.  Please feel free to contact me off list if you like.
>
> Dwayne Back
> sifuback at yahoo.com

(1) Why do you need an engine to sail the boat?  Sorry...I could not
resist.  I'm a bit of a 'sail' fanatic.

(2) 15 HP is WAY overpowered for an outboard on the boat.  You could run
a 15 HP at near idle and be pretty much at hull speed...of course,
weight aft would be a big detriment.

My boat has an 8 HP outboard on the transom, and when the hull is clean,
that buries the stern more than helps at full throttle.  I've been at
full throttle and seen the boat SPEED UP when I decreased the throttle.

It is very easy to "overpower" a displacement hull ...

(Caveat: wind, not currents, will make a difference...hull speed through
the water is hull speed through the water; the engine won't change the
fact that the water itself is moving).

--
John S. Riley
S/V Gaelic Sea