[Public-List] (no subject)

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Wed Sep 7 05:25:22 PDT 2011

Good morning -

You might try enquiring of mechanics if they have experience with older
military Willys jeep engines....  Although all parties will hotly deny there
is any connection between the '50's jeep flat head four cylinder engine; a
mechanic will actually find them quite similar to the Grey and especially
the Atomic IV.

For some reason there is a less threatening mystique about the land bound
flat head four than the aquatic one.  I've had a mechanic wave his hands
saying "oh I'd never touch one of those" referring to my engine, then tell
me what fun it is to work on the very simple, robust and straight forward
jeep engine.  He was shocked when he realized that my engine was just a flat
head four.  No secret complications, no snakes and scorpions hiding
anywhere...

I would agree that the backfiring should be easily tinkered with by
adjusting the timing.

The fellow that looks after our engine when it needs professional help also
looks after my MG, which is in his normal line of work.   He told me after
the first time he knelt in front of the A4 that he wondered what 'everybody'
in his profession was afraid of.  He was amazed at what a simple, robust
engine he had in front of him.

Gord #426