[Public-List] (no subject)

John Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Wed Sep 7 09:27:04 PDT 2011

Manza, John CIV OSD POLICY wrote:
> In Dwayne's defense...it is nearly impossible to sail on Lake St. Clair without aux power.  The Detroit River runs at about 3-4 knots and the St. Clair River that connects Lake Huron to Lake St. Clair runs a bit faster.  When I go up river to Port Huron at the south end of Lake Huron, it requires a solid five - six hours of running the engine at full throttle.  I dock about a mile up the Clinton River and, with the bends and current, it is nearly impossible to sail to my dock.  There is no mooring on Lake St. Clair, so I assume that Dwayne is in one of those huge marinas with literally hundreds of boats and many turns required to get to his slip.

Fair enough...I just like getting in my digs when I can.  It's a
personal thing...around here (engine not needed every time to leave the
marina, and even when it is, only a short 'hop' to get out to good
sailing waters), I see many, many more sailboats motoring than sailing.
For some reason, it irks me (mostly in a playful way).

Of course, I just did a two day delivery and had the sails up and
drawing for about 15 minutes.  So, my comment was also "directed" at
myself as an 'inner joke.'

Fair Winds,

--
John S. Riley