[Public-List] Cutlass Bearing and stuffing box

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 21 05:14:00 PDT 2011

I took the curvature from the old hatch and built several templates, one for
the fore and the other for the aft. Using the templates I made a jig frame a
little larger than the hatch. I then cut 10 pieces of 1/2" x 3" x 27" of
solid teak and beveled the edges with a 1 degree bevel so when they were
placed in the frame there would be no gaps in the seams. I epoxied all the
pieces together and clamped them in the frame. Once cured, I had basically a
sheet of 1/2" teak to the exact curvature. I backed that up by laminating a
1/4" of teak plywood to the underside using the frame once again to hold the
laminates together until it all cured. I have pictures