[Public-List] Remove old Cove stripe tape?

Jeffrey fongemie at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 16:34:46 PDT 2011

I took a cheap wood chisel and ground it down to match the shape of the code
stripe and used it as a scraper. Worked well once the tool was shaped
properly. I've used the tool twice. The first time I used some automotive
gold mylar tape. Looked great at first but went to crap after two seasons. I
removed that and now I'm using sign paint.

http://www.amazon.com/Metallic-Copper-One-Shot-Lettering/dp/B0027Z7TV4

I bought the gold and copper. The  110 copper metallic looked much more like
gold when compared to some real gold leaf.

-Jeff

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Kris Coward <kris at melon.org> wrote:

> When I unthinkingly went over my cove stripe with some toluene while
> stripping old wax from the hull (to apply new wax) one fins spring day,
> I subsequently found myself scouring out the old stripe with toluene
> soaked bronze wool after masking off the hull around it to avoid
> spreading around any scratches. Then the residue was wiped out with a
> toluene soaked sponge, and then soapy water to get it properly clean.
>
> Although this approach works, I really don't recommend it, as it's
> enormously time consuming, burns through about half a dozen pair of
> nitrile gloves (the dishwashing glove weight ones, not the medical
> weight ones), and gets toluene all over your hands when the gloves
> inevitably tear during the work. (And I still have about a foot of the
> stuff that was behind the cradle uprights still there to be scrubbed off
> next spring before I can put on a fresh stripe)
>
> The time I replace the cove stripe before that, just peeling it off with
> the occasional assistance of a plastic knife did the trick (and it came
> off in chunks/flakes that were a few inches long each). Though if the
> tape's been on there for 36 years, I have some serious doubts whether
> it'd be any more intact than the tape that was on during the de-waxing.
>
> Really, my general recommendation for anyone with a non-painted cove
> stripe would just be to replace it annually, and keep the nasty organic
> solvents off it.
>
> Cheers,
> Kris
>
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 10:45:53AM -0700, Bob Crinion wrote:
> > I wish to remove the 36 year old piece of Cove Stripe from hull #560.
> >
> > Anyone with any nifty tips how to remove the old tape from the cove
> > stripe area please let me know...it seems to be a very tedious process.
> >

> > I am preparing to paint the hull and wish to paint in a new cove stripe.
> > Others who done this before, did you find it easier to paint the cove
> > stripe last after painting the hull?
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > -bob

> --
> Kris Coward                                     http://unripe.melon.org/
> GPG Fingerprint: 2BF3 957D 310A FEEC 4733  830E 21A4 05C7 1FEB 12B3

Jeffrey Fongemie