[Public-List] Question about toe rail on old model of Alberg 30

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Thu Sep 29 12:42:15 PDT 2011

> Subject: Re: [Public-List] Question about toe rail on old model of
> Alberg 30
>
> In a message dated 9/28/2011 4:40:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> sail_505 at hotmail.com writes:
>
> This is  not an easy task. The toe rail
> on the older boats is a odd shape and every  angle is different...then
> there
> is the scarf  joint....................
>
> I know, I know....................................................   :)
>
> I'm in Fairhaven, Mass, which is near New Bedford..........which is
> roughly
>  halfway between Providence and Boston, which are.............   :)

I hired the local Cayuga Wooden Boat Works (Don Kemp did the work) to
replace the aft half of the rail on the port side. For what it's worth,
here's my recollection of how he did it, in case you are feeling
ambitious :-)

1. He cut two pieces of teak to get the total length needed, and put
them together with a scarf joint in the shop. I think he epoxied it, and
he may have chosen the location to have a screw through it. Also cut the
correct angle on the bottom measured from sections of the old rotted rail.

2. Cut matching scarf joint in the old rail and forward end of the new rail.

3. Positioned the rail and bent the first 5 feet or so to the curve then
marked carefully and drilled holes for the screws, then installed screws
(with nuts and washers I think. He did not steam or pre-bend the rail
stock. He may have taken the rail off to drill the screw holes to be
sure they were perpendicular to the bottom. He used clamps, but I don't
recall the configuration. I think he pulled out the screws to let him
shave the sides.

4. The he worked with a spokeshave to (and a small plane and some
chisels, I think) to shape the cross section and progressively bent,
drilled and added more screws. The shaping is the "magic" part, but you
might be able to make templates from the old rail, and lay it out to
some degree. I think he pulled out the screws on the section he was
working on to let him shave the sides.

5. Lastly cut a scarf in the old rail, then very carefully in the new one.

I remember my impression at the time that Don made it look easy, but it
would have taken me forever... Cost me about $1,500 maybe 8 years ago.

--Dan S.
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY

dans at stmktg.com
mobile: +1607-592-8012

Strategic Marketing Associates
403 Highgate Road