[Public-List] Construction question about rudder shaft & cockpit floor.

Jeffrey alberg30nh at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 04:03:08 PDT 2012

Hi everyone,

Under the tiller head on #116 is a metal ring that acts as a cover
plate and is welded to what looks like the end of a metal tube around
the rudder shaft. Anyone know how this is set up underneath?

Ultimately, I'm planning on re-coring the cockpit floor, and reusing
the top fiberglass skin but this cover plate will prevent me from
removing the fiberglass floor in one piece.  It does not lift out with
some careful prying. What is the tube attached to?

See: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/0NyHLwqHczvp6--g2HN5Aq3GpdfW2x_hlAS0ffzZ0So?feat=directlink

Battle of the bolt: I was able to save the threads in the rudder
shaft. I continued to file out the remains of the steel bolt until
very close to the threads In the front I was able to expose enough of
the threads to be able to feel (at least i think I could) the thread
tap starting into the original threads. I then carefully worked the
tap into the threads.  I repeatedly backed the tap out and saw only
steel shavings.  When finished, a 3/8 bolt fits in snug.

jeff

Jeff Fongemie
#116 Seagrass

http://picasaweb.google.com/fongemie