[Public-List] Tiller Head - I'm stuck!

Jeffrey fongemie at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 05:45:56 PDT 2012

I have not tried CRC Freeze Off, but I need to go to town today so
I'll pick some up.  The more I think about it, I'm a bit nervous about
adding much more heat. Bronze can melt at 2000 degF or less.  I can be
patient.

I like the idea of immersing the whole tiller head in solvent. I'm
wondering what the solvents won't dissolve? Could I zip tie a latex or
butyl inner tube section around the shaft, then fill it up with
solvent?  Might be worth an experiment.  I don't want to dork up the
fixture itself.

On another note, I'm finally putting some time into bringing back the
hull. I got a new Makita polisher:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/IOS2XxW4tIuO275NqvTAh5s2JjFi0EBE9QO4WtaoFco?feat=directlink

Much more fun than wrestling with old rusty bolts.

-jeff

Jeff Fongemie
#116 Seagrass

http://picasaweb.google.com/fongemie

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 7:31 AM, Mike Lehman <sail_505 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone tried CRC Freeze Off....it works great, mucho better than PB
> Blaster or anything else. When you spray it on it bubbles up (like scrubbing
> bubbles) eating away at corrosion. I found it at the auto supply store.
>
> -----Original Message----- From: crufone at comcast.net
> Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 7:19 AM
> To: fongemie at gmail.com ; Alberg 30 Public List -- open to all
>
> Subject: Re: [Public-List] Tiller Head - I'm stuck!
>

> Jeff,
>
> This might sound obvious, but try alternately loosening and tightening the
> bolt as you attempt to extract it. You may end up resorting to Process two.
> Drilling out the bolt. It can be done just do so with the idea that this is
> the only fitting left on earth and then you will be extra careful. Use many
> new drills to keep them sharp and on center. A dull bit tends to walk off
> center.
>
> Michael

Jeffrey Fongemie