[Public-List] tip up motor

Manza, John CIV OSD POLICY John.Manza at osd.mil
Mon Apr 9 11:32:08 PDT 2012

My outboard sits in the well much like the one on the video.  My outboard, however, is a more robust 4 stroke, 9.9 horsepower with an extra long shaft.  If anything, I get more power with this engine (motoring up and down the Detroit and St. Clair Rivers) than I did with the old 25 hp inboard.  The engine controls are in the cockpit.  Like others, I did not like the fact that I could not get good access to the inboard...I also like being able to take the engine fully out of the boat if there is a maintenance issue that requires a trip to the shop.  I do like being able to turn/steer the engine in tight quarters and I have a little hatch in front of the engine that facilitates that movement when required.  I kept the old fuel tank from the inboard and use that to supply fuel to the outboard.  I have an in-line fuel water separator / filter system that keeps it all healthy.  I have a big solar panel on my companionway hatch cover and with the alternator on the engine and two huge batteries, I stay topped off all of the time.  I plan on adding another two solar panels -- one permanent panel on the forward cabin hatch -- and one that can be temporarily put out for use on the aft end of the boat.

I have pictures of my layout that I will email to those who are interested.

John
JANTE II # 150