[Public-List] Mast Step

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Wed Apr 18 12:43:34 PDT 2012

The heel of such a modified mast step makes a dandy place to land the lower
limb of a boom vang tackle.  For lack of such a fixing point (SURPRISE has
the stock cast aluminium step) I use a stirrup shaped boom bale on the foot
of the mast that catches the athwartships bolt.

When easing the boom or gybing, the shackle on the bale makes a metalic
groaning sound that some dislike...but I really like.  To me that sound
brings to mind a dangerously powerful 1970's vintage America's Cup 12mtr
yacht easing its mast ram, vang and backstay hydraulics.   I think that's a
very intimidating sound for competitors to hear.  However, as my wife has
pointed out, I am probably the only person who makes that association....

Gord #426 Surprise