[Public-List] Sealing cockpit coamings

Glennb brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Thu Apr 5 12:29:36 PDT 2012

Hi Bill,  I am just doing the same thing now.  My quarter round is old so am replacing with a 11/8th x 2 1/2 teak 'cleat' that will add structural strength to the middle area of the cockpit vertical back boards.  My verticals came un glued and separated, so glued them back together and intend to screw the backing boards into the cleats for more distributed atachment.  probably overkill, but a surveyor recommended the cleat approach to fasten the upper boards, in event the glue seam gives way again.    the upper board supports the sheet winch so adds direct backing to the winch mount. probably will  bolt the cleats to the deck, then snug them up to the  verticals somehow, or vise versa.

I bed everything in Dolfinite bedding compound.  This is an oil based bedding compound originally meant to protect against dry rot by keeping water out from underneath wood on wood, or wood on FG etc.  this is really wonderful stuff and can last for decades.  Fills gaps as well and glazes over when exposed to air, but never dries out.  also is non adhesive.  much better thn 5200 in my experience.  ( I also use it to bed fittings on deck and caulk my cabin windows, etc, never have leaks.)

Best,
Glenn P.
Dolce 318

Sent from my iPad