[Public-List] Twin down wind jibs

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Sat Apr 7 08:38:22 PDT 2012

We used to use just that combination in TOUCH WOOD, my Folkboat, for heavy
air running.  We'd set the jib boomed out on the spinnaker pole with the
genoa and main set normally to leeward.   This was much facilitated by the
fact that TW had a twin slotted forestay extrusion.  Later when I had
removed the extrusion, I set the genny hanked onto the forestay as usual
with the jib set flying and boomed out.

What this set-up won't do is relieve the rolling you will have to endure.
Oversheeting the genoa will help, as will removing as much twist as possible
from the main (if you're using it)  If you aren't using the main, you can
play with how much twist is in the headsails to damp rolling.... Letting one
(better the smaller one in the pole) twist more will reduce rolling because
the lateral pressure your sails are developing will be greater on one side
than the other.  And that will reduce rolling considerably.  If the two
sails are balanced you'll be rolling gunwale to gunwale under even in
moderate conditions.

Raising the clew of a headsail will cause the upper section to twist more,
lowering it will reduce twist...

So - trade wind sailing - what a marvelously pleasant thought.....

Gord #426 Surprise