[Public-List] info request

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Wed Aug 1 08:13:45 PDT 2012

Salt water or fresh water boat? Many of the gate valve and thru hull problems are due to extended salt water use. The 'home-made' thru hulls are mfg using a copper alloy pipe and upsetting a washer over the end of the pipe. Peened over flange of pipe corrodes away and then washer falls off leaving nothing to hold remainder of thru hull in place. If boat has gate valves you really should remove them from the boat to determine if they will function. These valves often have the stem break internally and when the hand wheel turns you think the valve is operating but in reality it is not. I would also check the wire standing rigging. The original set up used copper alloy nicro press fittings crimped around thi mbles. If the boat you are inspecting has this set-up then MOST likely the rigging is as old as the boat is. I would replace all with some type of mechanical fitting and new wire. Also try to slaken up one of the turnbuckles. If it turns easily and freely you may assume that all have been maintained. If it is stiff or squeals then I would assume that all need to be replaced. Adjusting dry non-lubricated turnbuckles galls the thread surfaces and ruins the turnbuckles. I believe that all Alberg 30 dismastings to date have either been from turnbuckle or chain plat e bolt failures.

Best of luck. Post any further questions after your look see and we will try to advise .

Michael #133