[Public-List] Hello from Vancouver. (Somewhat) proud new owner of Antares 1967 A30.

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Wed Aug 1 08:49:51 PDT 2012

Mike answered most of your questions. The mast lean could just be from the rig being out of adjustment. If you are removing the beam to relaminate or replace I would consider not using the two center, fore/aft bolts which fasten the mast step plate in place. The four corner bolts should be sufficient to hold the plate in place. The center bolts create several issues in my mind. Their holes provide a direct path for water to enter the deck and down to the mast beam itself. The bores in the mast beam weaken it without providing much in the way of increased stability for the mast step. I have always had the feeling that the center two bolts were used as a way to hold the beam in place while the bulkheads were tabbed in place or vice versa. Perhaps an aid to original assembly but not needed structurally.

I would inspect the underside of the coach roof. Arrange for better pass throughs for the mast wiring and perhaps place some cushioning material between the coach roof and the new beam. Make a template from cardboard or foam core of the outside coach roof just ahead or aft of the mast step. After removing the step you can slide this template back and forth to determine if or where you have depressions or bulges. With the mast beam removed from the inside you can determine what has happened to the lower coach laminate. Truthfully I don't know if the mast beam is originally pressed up tight directly to the lower surface of the coach roof or not. When I do this repair to my boat I believe that after I remove the mast beam I will true up the surface of the underside of the coach roof. Then do a dry run fit of the repaired or replaced mast beam to determine if there is any space between the underside of the coach roof and the upper side of the mast beam. Depending on if there is an air space and how much I will do one of the following. Laminate glass matt on the underside of the roof to help fill in the space if there is 1/2" or more. Perhaps use star board shims especially under the mast step if needed. Use thickened epoxy mush on top of the installed beam to function as a gap filler between the coach roof and the beam. I assume that the only critical place not to have any air space is directly under the mast step and slightly to each side. Perhaps others who have removed their beams can tell us if the original beam was installed tight to the coach roof or not.

All on this list have mentioned that the mast beam tabbing is not structural. If this is the case then after my repaired beam is in place I will consider using some wooden trim to dress up the joint between the coach roof and the beam and perhaps not reinstall the tabbing. Do others have comments about NOT replacing the mast beam tabbing?? I will replace if the consensus is that I should.

Finally, I saw the photos posted of your mast beam repair and i f you are not planning to do any extended off shore work until you get to the more favourable place to do these repairs I would think you could wait to execute the repair.

Michael #133