[Public-List] Rudder Shoe Project Update

Jeremy Brown j_l_brown at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 1 11:59:11 PDT 2012

How accurate do these need to be?  Foundry work/blacksmithing is what I originally went to school for and I have a teacher who still owes me a favor there if something is needed still.

How do you view attached photos?

No mold means it was probably
cast in ceramic shell, there would be an original to make the wax though, or a lost foam shape if done in sand, as bronze changes about eight percent when it hardens, they may have hand made a foam to account for the change as a one off.

Same reason you can't use parts from Chinese knock offs on the original, or vice versa, they often cast directly copying each piece so it becomes a different size overall.

Mike Lehman <sail_505 at hotmail.com> wrote:

Hey Peter

I got the rudder shoes back from Maine. I got  the original and 1 duplicate
but no mold. I have placed a call to the instructor to find out how this was
made and where the mold is. I have compared the 2 shoes and they are the
same (see photos attached). There are some minor differences with thickness
(the duplicate is slightly thicker on the bottom), but it fits fine on my
keel section that I have and will work just fine. The duplicate does not
have any hole drilled and has not been filed smooth. I can send the
duplicate to you. I am a bit afraid to send the original for fear it might
get lost, but there is no real differences in the two anyway. Let me know
what you think. BTW the original in the pictures is the yellow one - mold
release?

Mike Lehman