[Public-List] Prop Survey

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Mon Aug 13 19:29:07 PDT 2012

  Here is a free ware programme for you to play with. You will find that
you cannot apply more than about 16 HP to an Alberg prop to get
hullbspeed regardless of the motor. It works on excel and the pages at
the bottom are the entry options. I have a 13-8 2 blade and it works
just fine. You will also find that 7 is the normal pitch and that if you
go lower to a 6 you will have more power at slow speeds and an 8 will
give you more power at high speeds. Because I rarely need power at slow
speeds, I chose an 8 for the power at high speeds- less slippage and
there is about 50 -55% slippage built in to every prop. That is a waste
as far as I am concerned. 13 is the max diameter that you can get into
the space in the rudder. You will note the rules of thumb on the
relationship between pitch and diameter and RPMs for the motor. Match
those to the torque and HP curves for your motor.
Don #528