[Public-List] Gudgeons - Gonna remove mine for project

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sat Aug 4 15:53:11 PDT 2012

Jim,

On these screws (and the ones on the rudder shoe), I use an hand impact
driver. See
http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/hand-impact_s.jpg for
what I mean. With the screwdriver bit in place and in the screw slot,
you hold the body firmly and hit the back end with a heavy hammer. This
gives a shock and turning motion at the same time.

I almost always use fresh screws when I'm putting it back together. The
nuisance of a slightly buggered screw isn't worth the cost savings.

Also, beware using stainless below the waterline:
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/Steering/CreviceCorrosion/

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org