[Public-List] Prop Survey

Don Lang potatosailor at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 13:02:18 PDT 2012

Jeff,

My boats electric so my prop info won't be much help, but may I suggest filling out the Analysis form on Michigan Wheels site (no affiliation, link below)

http://www.miwheel.com/propellers/prop-it-right/

Its a free service; you fill out the form with your boat specs, engine specs, clearances, etc and let their  engineers figure it out.
I was very pleased with the results I got from them.
With my combination of electric motor, reduction, etc I was at wits end trying to figure out how to prop my boat and get it right on the first go.
They came up with a prop that had to be custom made and took six weeks to get.
The prop cost me about $350 but was well worth the time and money, its truly perfect for my system, there is no way I would have got this right on my own.

Cheers, Don
#473 Kolohe

________________________________

I'm curious about what propellers others are using in their A30's?

My boat came with a large three bladed prop, I can't remember the size
but it was tight in the aperture.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Fpj8A9TYOoJ72WipyH_XMNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Each blade was big! It really moved the boat well. Unfortunately that
old prop was less bronze and more copper so we changed it when I
replaced the shaft. After hearing such good things about the Campbell
Sailer prop, I ordered one after speaking with Norm at West by West
Enterprises. http://www.westbynorth.com/CampbellSailer.aspx. Norm was
great to work with, and after discussing back and forth I ordered the
12" diameter x 8" pitch three bladed Campbell Sailor.  My first
reaction when I received it was that it was TINY compared to the old
prop!  I think Norm got the size right, the prop was able to push the
boat to hull speed just about at the max of my motor. However, after
three seasons with this, I'm contemplating a new prop.  What I dislike
about the Campbell Sailer is that it is very sensitive to seaweed.
Even a small bit of weed, or grass and we're lucky to hit 2 knots.
With this prop, removing seaweed is almost a daily chore if we are
traveling very far.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/botBsyVFuOPFFBQSC2_OhdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

So, if you know what size prop you have and are happy with it please speak up!

Jeff Fongemie
#116 Seagrass

http://picasaweb.google.com/fongemie