[Public-List] atomic 4 compression test

Glennb brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Sat Dec 1 12:41:45 PST 2012

Hiya,

Black soot on the plugs is typically an indication that the fuel air mixture is to rich, commonly caused by a dirty air filter that reduces air intact for a given quantity of fuel burned, hence the carbon build up on the plugs due to incomplete combustion.

Or, also common, a carb that is out of adjustment.  You can adjust the fuel air mixture screw on the carb and observe noticeable changes in the way the engine runs.  Turn the screw all the way in until the engine runs rough... 2 to 5 second lag in engine performance... Then back it out until you get smooth running condition.  Easy fix IF, the carb itself isn't messed up.  however, old carbs build up 'varnish' deposits on the interior fuel flow surfaces of the carb body, and actually reduce fuel and air flows in the carb.  This causes dirty black soot build up on plugs and  produces constantly bad running engines.   You can try soaking and flushing out the carb and rebuilding, but in my experience,,, from rebuilding dozens if not hundreds of small engine carbs, more than say 60% of the time it's better to buy a new carb and throw the old one away, as it's often impossible to flush the buildup out of the labyrinth little maze of journals that are cast into the carb body.

BTW, sometimes carbon deposits build up on the cylinder heads of old engines that have been run for a long time with fuel air problems and cause the same affect as bad fuel air mixture from carbs, e.g. Running rough, loss of power, etc.  an easy fix is to take the head off and clean the cylinder heads with solvent and green scouring pad to remove the carbon deposit, then reassemble and voila, find that the engine runs like new!

Good luck on chasing down the problems with your engine.  Try the simple stuff first before rebuilding...

Glenn
Dolce 318

Sent from my iPad