[Public-List] Waterlift and Standpipe Mufflers

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun Dec 2 06:53:08 PST 2012

Hi, Jim,

On 12/1/12 7:50 PM, James Allocco wrote:
> Fellow Albergers,
>
> I had a standpipe muffler fabricated out of stainless steel 20 years ago
> and it is time to replace it. Unfortunately the quotes are approx $1000.
> Needless to say I am looking at other options. I am most interested in
> George Dinwiddies water lift muffler for a couple of reasons.
>
> 1.  it appears to be something I can fabricate myself.
> 2.  Hopefully I hope it will fit it in the same location as my current
> standpipe as I have a Fresh water Heat Exchanger installed in the most
> forward area of my port side locker.
>

> Has anyone  installed that or any other water lift in that area. If not
> where were you able to install one?
> Also George, I understand you have made other modifications to your
> muffler, could you please further explain as I don't fully understand the
> design.
>

> Finally I see that Moyer Marine has a standpipe selling for about $500. It
> is made for a Tartan. It appears to be approx 6"shorter and the discharge
> line is near the bottom instead of the top as is in our original design.
> Does anyone have any experence with this design or have an opinion as to if
> it would work on our boats?

Jim,

I think my waterlift was an off-the-shelf item. It was installed by the
previous owner. If you'd like, I could take some photos and measurements
for you.

Waterlift mufflers are available to purchase. Googling turned up these
possibilities:
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/321004776069
  http://www.centekindustries.com/vernalift.html
  http://www.halyard.eu.com/Products/exhaust_silencer_range.html
  http://www.tadiesels.com/generators/northern_lights/accessories.htm

https://www.google.com/search?q=waterlift+muffler#q=water+lift+muffler&tbo=d&tbm=shop&fp=2b8de6d96391cc26

I've got one of the original bronze standpipe mufflers in my basement,
if that's of interest. It looks pretty good, but I can't vouch for the
working condition.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org