[Public-List] also EPIRB and Drouge

brooks.glenn at comcast.net brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Sun Feb 5 18:04:26 PST 2012

Thanks JP, I emailed on this one after seeing your post, havent heard from the owner yet.

it seems there are new ACR's for sale starting at $599 and moving up to $850 or so depending on vendor.

As FYI to the group, I did just re-learn that used EPIRB's with expired batteries come with a built in cost of $250 and up to replace the battery and re-certify for current service. This includes re-checking the auto-on salt water circuit (a thin ss wire connection between two of the ss machine screws that hold the unit together- salt water completes the circuit to turn it on...) and doing a pressure test to insure the seals are still good. Also, the recent/newer epribs all havea built in GPS receiver that determines location within 100 meters, then retransmits your lat/long to rescue crews. T e previous generation units - some still being sold, depended soley on triangulation with the international rescue sat constellation ( sorry don't remember the proper term!). Wyhich is OK and certainly works, however in some waters results in a reported accuracy differential of 1-5 Km accuracy radius for the older 406 triangulation units. So I am on the cusp here of just buying a new ACR for $600...if I cant find a used GPS enabled unit.

Also, to the group, if this is of interest, Elliot and Winslow both are selling 6 man ocean service life rafts for $2900, and $3600 respectively, at the Seattle boat show today. These both appear to be upper end/commercial grade rafts. The four person rafts are a bit cheaper <e.g $200 less> built the same, only smaller in size. Overall I like the Elliot material and design as it is essentially built for commercial service and seems to be much heavier constructed. However the Winslow comes in a soft valise, which could be stored in the cockpit locker, rather than bolted atop the cabin- and the Winslow factory rep said they can build the valise in any shape you want- to make it fit where you want it to fit.

Hey Gord, any thoughts on how these compare in your experience? I have a week or so to commit at the boat show price...

Thanks much.

Glenn B