[Public-List] Buying tip of the week

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 7 04:44:16 PST 2012

I think this discussion went a bit astray ...I was just trying to save
everyone some money.

Some recent experiences

1. Last year I needed 12 feet of 1-1/2" exhaust hose.  WM only had it in 10'
lengths and it was $3 more per foot than elsewhere. The sales associate
suggested I buy 2 - 10 foot lengths and splice them together. I asked him if
he had ever installed an exhaust system before...of course the answer was
no.

2. On another occasion I needed A1 rated fuel line hose for a below-deck
installation. They were out of stock but suggested I use outboard fuel line
instead. I pointed out that it said right on the box 'for above deck
installation only', they didn't know the difference.

MY POINT - regardless of where you shop...you have to research and know what
you need. You cannot expect some high school kid with a part time job to
give you advice. So do your homework, research the prices and then take
advantage of the price guarantee.

Mike Lehman