[Public-List] working jib size

brooks.glenn at comcast.net brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Tue Feb 7 16:47:59 PST 2012

Thanks Mike,

This is very helpful!

glenn

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael J. Meinhold" <MICHAEL.J.MEINHOLD at saic.com>
To: "Alberg 30 Public List -- open to all" <public-list at lists.alberg30.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 4:29:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Public-List] working jib size

Glenn -
The official Chesapeake Bay A30 Rules working jib is an 82% - this is
LP/J not an area ratio.

I don't know about roller furling, but below is a table with the Luff
Perpendicular worked out for each of the
jibs shown in the A30 Sail Plan. The Chesapeake Bay One Design rules
specify these numbers as max dimensions for the Working Jib and the #1,
but say only that the #2 must be smaller in every dimension than the
#1.
The J shown in the Sail Plan is 10 feet 5 inches.

Luff Foot Leech LP LP/J%
Working 30.00 10.25 25.75 8.52 0.82
#2 32.00 15.00 30.25 14.06 1.35
#1 34.00 19.00 33.50 18.09 1.74

LP can be found directly from the three sides of a triangle as :
LP = sqrt ( foot^2 - ( (leech^2-foot^2-luff^2)/(2*luff) )^2 )

Mike
Rinn Duin #272