[Public-List] Hull Painting

brooks.glenn at comcast.net brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Wed Feb 29 18:41:57 PST 2012

Hi Jonathan,

Gordon's comments are right on. I would add, that 2 part sprayed will give you optimum finish and gloss over paint pads, and paint pads seem to work better for me than brush. I painted Dolce's topsides three years ago with two part poly and decks with one part. I found it impossible to avoid runs and brush marks on vertical surfaces with both types of paint, so spent a lot of time correcting and brushing out imperfections - which caused a lot of trouble as the poly urethane paints set quickly and dont like to be recoated when wet. The instructions called for two applications, plus primer. I sanded each application except the last, and waited to make sure the paint was absolutely cured properly before begining the next application. took a week overall to do the topsides.

Any wind, temp extremes at mid day, or late afternoon humidity will adversely affect the application with both types of paint - so look for painting days with a solid - no change weather forecast, if possible.

Generally I will do only two part when I repaint again, as the 2 part seems to be much harder, adheres better, retains higher gloss over time, etc...

also i would recommend using primer everywhere you repaint. Adds to longevity - at least it has on my new paint on Dolce.

final thought; the previous owner had Dolce's hull spray painted with Imron 5 or 6 years before I bought the boat. It has lasted now over 12 years and is still in excellent condition. I buff out and wax the hull 1X /year during haul out. this helps keep the paint looking good- even though it is finnaly starting to show its age in a few places.

If you do paint over the gell coat, you are committing to repainting on a regular cycle - be it 3, 5 or 10 years, at some point, you will need to do it again...
I have wondered over and over if finish sanding the existing gell coat and spraying a new gel coat surface would have been a better, more long lasting option... I think it would be about the same amount of work for a much longer lasting finish coat.

Glenn B
Dolce