[Public-List] Marisel projects and questions

randall weatherspoon rlwspoon at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 8 21:41:49 PST 2012

I am making progress on several fronts;

1.       I assume the main hatch slides back & comes off if you remove the
two vertical wood strips on either side of the hatch - don't want to remove
if that is not right? Probably won't get to rebuild - just glass over the
top for now.

2.       I finally have the old mast section blank machined and ready to
make a new masthead and base  - was wondering about writing up the whole
process for the site as it has been quite an ordeal and expense. Where would
I send? Will have final pics and design calcs if anyone wants to
review----in a week or two--

3.       The old masthead had rivets (easy to drill out) and SS screws on
the side (a pain) - any thoughts?

4.       I have found a rubber insert for the stuffing box hose but need to
sand down a little as it is too big when over the stern tube to go into the
hose. A friend made a mandrel the same size as the stern tube to test and
also to use to sand down the insert.

5.       My last major project is the exhaust. The old muffler was looking
pretty weak at the bottom and any leaks  would immediately put about a quart
of water into the engine - I was thinking of just using iron pipe and the
Moyer fitting but wasn't sure if I needed the expansion or cooling like the
old muffler.  I visited Peter Amos and he just has the pipe which works so
don't see the need for the expense - although that would also bias the
Compass --?would Stainless Steel effect the compass? - I plan to go with
Peter's design --

6.       I also have some nice pics of what appear to be the old through
hulls with the washer --- The through hull looked sound until I put vise
grips on it and it crumbled like chalk - glad I took it out but was very
deceptive.

I have a lot of project pics if anyone is interested.

Randy Weatherspoon

Marisel #385