[Public-List] Privacy Issues?

John Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Wed Jan 4 15:52:54 PST 2012

All good points.  However, it's all about statistics and where the bad
guys are looking.

Could someone snoop my email without encryption?  Yes.  But why would they?

Facebook is easy pickings.  That's the cause of concern there.  There's
just so much information there, and none of it seems to be guarded very
well; the temptation to share with "friends" is very great, and many
people do.

Yet, I agree that it's true that the person who is careless on Facebook
is likewise careless in other ways; security is layers, after all, and
the weakest link is often the connection between the keyboard and the chair.

On the topic of adding a Facebook page for this particular list, I
maintain as my own personal position that Facebook just does not provide
anything; thus in a cost-benefit analysis, it loses big.  Increased risk
with absolutely no gain seems a pretty strange choice to me...

--
John S. Riley
S/V Gaelic Sea