[Public-List] Last, last Misery Trip of 2011

PIM VAN DER TOORN toorn at rogers.com
Thu Jan 5 15:43:34 PST 2012

Thanks Gord, a great read, it's like i was there! oh wait....I was!

I'll just add that the daytime high on Saturday was 9c/48f and on Sunday 3c/37f before any windchill factor, and there was plenty of wind. It was true Misery Cruise weather and the best sail of the season for me.
Gord's mention of the uncharted-yet-massively-visible navigation aid reminded me that as we approached this particularly nasty, shoal-laden stretch of the Bay we had a snow squall off our port quarter that continually threatened to overtake us - advance guard snowflakes streaked horizontally through the cockpit - visibility would have been reduced significantly, it had completely obscured the shoreline in that direction. It being my boat, and Gord being the Navigator (he bills himself too humbly as "simple crewperson"), I'm sure he would have encouraged a DR through the hazards had the squall caught us. And being half-frozen and eager to get somewhere warm I might have acquiesced!  I'm glad it eventually passed astern.
Can't wait until spring.
Pim