[Public-List] Other group sites

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Wed Jan 4 12:13:57 PST 2012

Hi, Don,

On 1/4/12 2:53 PM, potatosailor at yahoo.com wrote:
> I agree facebook would not be an upgrade for the list.
> The list gets two thumbs up, and many thanks to those involved in
> maintaining it.

You're welcome. This mailing list is, by far, the most successful
feature of alberg30.org.

> I do think the list would benefit from being a 'yahoo group'

In case you don't know the history, this list started out on a service
called OneList, when that was the first and only free email list hosting
service I could find.  OneList was bought by eGroups, which was bought
by Yahoo.  The yahoogroup (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/alberg30/)
still exists, but is mothballed just to preserve those message archives.
  It's closed to new members to keep the activity in only one place.
Two places would mean that many would sign up for both to avoid missing
something, many would post their questions to both in case the person
with the answer was only on one list, and monitoring the list would be
twice as much work.

> It would maintain the archived database but would add a files section
> and a photos section and polls section for members to upload too that is
> separate from the messages list but easily accessed from the home page.

Yahoogroup files sections often become nests of spammy link files that
try to fool search engines into giving higher weight to dubious sites.
Such files and photo sections take a fair bit of moderator work, else
they become cesspools of the internet dregs.

> I do appreciate the list and am certainly not knocking it,....but would
> be nice to have a photos section incorporated with it.

We actually have a photos section, though it's little used. See
http://www.alberg30.org/gallery/main.php (linked from the top of the
Photos page).  It requires a login to post pictures, but I'd be glad to
set one up for those who are interested.

Mostly, people just send photos to me and I post them on the website.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org