[Public-List] Updated Rudder Shoe/Gudgeon List

Peter McEvoy peter.t.mcevoy at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 17:59:43 PDT 2012

Hi Everybody,

Wow, quite a bit of interest in this. I expect more people to chime in yet,
but here is an updated list anyway. I'll try to get a quote next week. I
like the idea of casting the shoes without holes drilled. It would also
make sense to have the shoe aperture (for the rudder pin) at the original
1/2", and people can drill it out if they prefer a 5/8" pin or whatever.

Another consideration for having a mold made is the shrinkage of the bronze
after casting- 3/16" per lineal foot, or around 2%. That means the mold
should be 2% BIGGER than your final piece. I doubt this will make a
difference for our rudder shoe, but somebody please say something if you
think otherwise.

Ceramic shell would be the easiest to do (at least for my situation) and
will give a cleaner final product than sand casting. I'd give a rough
estimate that the shoe castings will come out to roughly 5 pounds of bronze
each (Assuming about 1/4" thickness and an area of 50in^2 plus the solid
"head" of the shoe, with the bronze weight being .3 lb/in^3). Bronze is
currently running around $5.00/lb, so that would be around $25 per shoe for
just the metal. As for the gudgeons, one pair would likely be in the same
range as one shoe. Foundries probably charge somewhere around $15 per pound
depending on the work involved, but I would try to do this on my own to
save money.

Still waiting to hear if anybody has gudgeon dimensions or originals- can't
do much without that!

The List:

Rudder Shoe:
Bill Ydel - wcydel at gmail.com