[Public-List] Mast Step Corroded to Mast Foot

mpcylinderheads at gmail.com mpcylinderheads at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 06:56:54 PDT 2012

I had a new step made, I bought a piece of .375x5"x12" aluminum from onlinemetals.com 5" wide, local machine shop here in Norfolk, Va put slots and welded  the orginal plug it looked brand new when machined! The whole deal the was less than $150. I also had them drill and tap new holes in the base plate to allow my mast to be moved forward about an 1". This allowed the mast to be over beam more and FWIW seemed to have cured a bit of weather helm. I found that too thin of washers it what seemed to have cracked the step. The bent when previous owner over tightened them and spread the slots, cracking them. When I replaced the hardware, I doubled the washers and also got longer bolts as the orginals only screwed into base plate a couple of turns. Email me and I will send you pics.

Jason
www.svsalacia.blogspot.com
A30 #457