[Public-List] Battery Compartment

brooks.glenn at comcast.net brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Mon Jul 9 19:07:29 PDT 2012

Bob, You should be able to prob around with an awl or screwdriver, and tap with a hammer to determine where, if any, more rot or delamination exists in the plywood. Sounds like the plywood just gave up due to old age and too much moisture over time. I wonder if you have some fresh water run off in the boat that consistently seeps down into the battery area? If so, you might look for the pathway to stop future deterioration .

Anyway the ideal way to fix the flooring is replace with foam core, glassed on both sides and then laminate it into the hull same way as the original plywood. The foam core does not absorb moisture. so cant rot, and covered with mat and roving on both sides is very strong. Only drawback is that probably you have to buy a whole sheet for $100 or so. Unless a FG shop will give you a small piece to work with. But it sounds like a fairly quick fix.

Iast year I moved my batteries out of the bilge and up under the cockpit floor to keep them from being submerged and ruined in the event of water inundation . Its more work, but seems like a more secure location. (requires a hatch forward end of the cockpit for access).

Cheers
Glenn D olce 318