[Public-List] Heat

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 12 12:16:14 PDT 2012

Ron

On Isa Lei, which is not an A30, I have a Newport solid fuel heater.  There
are several A30's that also use them.  I would not classify it as good for
all night heat, but rather as good to take the chill off the morning and
evening.  I have tried a variety of fuels in it and have settled on bio-mass
logs cut in half lengthwise.  They give a good burn with little ash or
sooting.  "Presto Logs" like you can find in grocery stores produce better
heat but soot the hell out of the Charley Noble(smoke head).  Again they
have to be cut into slices (about one inch thick).  Charcoal is too slow and
too much ash.  If you use drift wood, it burns fast and you can actually
over heat the fireplace and warp it.  Also buy a small galvanized bucket to
handle the ashes.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|406|1066337|324054&id=48881

http://www.enviblocks.com/

http://www.fuelstart.com/tools/biomassinfo.aspx

Jim Davis
Privateer Isa Lei

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when
the baby gets hold of a hammer."
Will Rogers