[Public-List] Heat

Stephen Gwyn stephen.gwyn at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Thu Jul 12 13:04:30 PDT 2012

I have a Dickinson/Newport solid fuel stove mounted about waist level
in the main cabin on the starboard side forward bulkhead.
It works, but not amazingly well. It doesn't draw as well
as it might, and it's hard to get the critical mass of
combustibles in the small area. Prestalogs and offcuts
of untreated 2x4 work well. Some coal works, but you have
to get it quite hot with other fuels first. But if you can
reliably burn coal, you're set because it keeps burning
longer than other fuels. The stoves's predecessor
(forget the brand, but they went of of business 20+ years ago)
worked better but rusted out.

Mount it as low as possible for two reasons
1) A longer chimney means it will draw better and be more
immune to downdrafts if the wind is blowing.
2) Since hot air rises, the lower it is the more of the cabin
will be kept warm. I've spent a number of evenings sitting
on the settee feeling chilly, only to stand up, putting my head
into a strata of delightfully warm air.

SG

> Hello Everyone I plan on cruising in the north and at the moment my boat dose
> not have a heater. I like wood or charcoal. I've seen some stoves on line
> that look great. Any suggestions on what works best in our beloved Albergs
> would be appreciated. Ron Full Measure #292

Stephen Gwyn                       | Tel: 1-250-363-3136
Canadian Astronomical Data Centre  | Fax: 1-250-363-0045
Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics | Cell: 1-250-885-6969
5071 West Saanich Road             | E-mail: Stephen.Gwyn at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Victoria, BC, V9E 2E7, Canada      | http://astrowww.phys.uvic.ca/~gwyn/